English Español

Thanks to Sandra Blakey (President RB12.2) and Sharon Johnson for passing on this message – it’s of value to most, if not all of us.

Hi Folks,

This information is for all those who:

  • reside in Spain but are not necessarily registered as resident
  • may have residencia, but are not aware of the following:

In La Tercia we are currently experiencing a 15 day delay in obtaining a doctor’s appointment at the village surgery, a problem that will surely escalate during the winter months!

Mary Rodriguez Buendia, our mayor, has been posting about the problem on Facebook, has given radio interviews and there have been newspaper articles publicising the unacceptable situation of only having the doctor 2 hours a day and for only 4 days a week – even less when he/she gets a mandatory call out for an emergency!

A petition has been made available at the doctor’s reception desk and another in the tabac (newspaper shop) to add signatures to the complaint.

While Mary does all she can, we may be able to help in another way, please read on to the end…


What is the Padron Municipal?

This is a record of all local residents held by every municipality (borough) In Spain. This is held at the Ayuntamiento (town hall) _

The UK equivalent would be the electoral role.

Who Does It Benefit?

First, The Municipality

Although, it ls not compulsory to be registered, it benefits both you and the municipality which, as a home owner, you are part of.

Based on the number of inhabitants a municipality receives money from the government to provide services to those who live within its jurisdiction, which means that If you’re registered or ’empadronado’, then the municipality receives money to provide services on your behalf, regardless of your legal status.

So simply put, the more people registered on the Padron, the more services an area receives.

The funding is used for essential amenities such as policing, health centres/doctors surgeries, cleaning and maintenance.

If you do not register basic services will suffer as they do in many areas because many foreign residents do not bother to register, mainly as they are unaware that they should. It even affects staffing in the health clinics, post office and all the services that we take for granted.

Registration on the Padron is confidential. It does not mean that you have to pay any extra taxes. Remember that you will have to pay municipal taxes anyway, If you are a home owner.

Second, You!

  • Your children are given the right to enrol at local schools – in the case of limited places, preference will be given to registered children.
  • Local leisure facilities – take advantage of discounted fees at the municipal sports centre and exercise classes.
  • It is often required when looking for work via the municipal ‘job centre’ equivalent.
  • When you register you will be asked to sign a census form which gives you the right to vote in local council and European Union elections. You will need it to:
  • Renew your residency permit
  • Apply for a public health insurance card
  • Buy or sell a car
  • Get married

Who should register on the Padron Municipal?

Anybody who owns or rents a property in Spain should register, if they live here permanently. If you are renting on a long term basis, you should apply to be registered.

Is it related to Residencia?

No, this is not a Residencia and it does not require you to have Residencia or be applying for it.

How do you register?

It’s easy! To become registered all you have to do is go to your local ayuntamiento and ask to ’empadronarse’ (ehm-pah-droh-nahr-seh). You will need to take the following with you:

  • Passport for each applicant and a copy (black ink)
  • Original NIE document for each applicant and a copy
  • Your escritura (title deeds, home owners only) or rental contract (if not a home owner)
  • You may also need a copy of a utility bill in your own name, either gas, electricity or water

In La Tercia the official from Murcia council is in attendance at the Municipal Centre on Tuesday from 12:00 to 14:00h and Thursday from 9:00 to 11:00h. You can have an individual certificate (individual) or one that covers the whole family (familiar).

The official may advise you will receive your padron certificate via the postal service but he will be able to issue a volante. This is a temporary certificate, which lasts for 3 months, and is proof you are registered. The volante is the certificate issued if you need to register with the doctor, buy a car and for various other reasons.

Once you are registered you will be described as empadronado, an official member of the community.

It is a good idea to keep the original document in a special folder, as you will need to present the original on occasion.

When does the Padron need to be renewed?

Various sources quote differing requirements but a general guide is:

Frequency of renewal is as follows:

  • National of an EU state with a residency certificate: Every five years
  • National of an EU state without a residency certificate: Every two years
  • National of a non-EU state without a permanent residency certificate: Every two years

If you are unsure when you obtained empadronado, it may be worthwhile just to pay your local ayuntamiento a visit to ascertain if you are still on their record, and if not, re-register, ultimately it’s for your benefit.

Additional note from Sharon:

Sometimes, the in-residence times of the council official does change so you may need to check.

I have attached a copy of the information (see below) should you wish to print it for distribution to your friends and neighbours.

I hope this information will be helpful to you and ultimately, if enough people realise they should become ’empadronado’ this will swell our municipality’s numbers and lead to an improvement in local services.

Best regards

Empadronado Q As



English Español